Saturday, June 23, 2007

What a walk!

Good morning, Dear Friends and Prayer Partners! This is the day that the Lord has made and we will rejoice and be glad in it!

Instead of a walk in the park, yesterday, my day started at 4 AM. Gil came to pick me up at 5:30 and we were off to TIA to catch a flight to San Juan, PR. We had a smooth flight, watching "Facing the Giants" DVD on Gil's PC. What a wonderful movie!

After we arrived in San Juan, the first little bump in our plans was the rental car agency. We had to waste about 45 minutes getting the van to take us to "Charlie's" and then got the Hyundai and off we went to see old San Juan and El Yunque rainforest. Since this was my first visit to PR, and Gil is an experienced traveler, I was thrilled and thankful to have such a tour guide. Gil got in his "aggressive" mode to match the traffic, which was heavy and fast. I noticed that patience was thin in most drivers. When the light turns green, the first thing you do is blow your horn to make the first driver in line take off! Our first stop was at BK, where we had to get a ticket to open the gate to the parking lot!! Since neither of us had much breakfast, we welcomed the burgers and shakes as we kept going. I was excited to see the mountains in the distance, since it has been a long time since I have left Florida.

The rainforest was peaceful, quiet and lovely with mountain sides overflowing with ferns and waterfalls cascading down the black rocks. Large stands of bamboo were growing wild as were impatiens which were blooming. The little car chugged right along up the steep hills and many people were also enjoying the views. We stopped at the Tower, but since the altitude already had me breathing kinda hard, I did not climb up to the top.

Gil took pictures of me everywhere, so be prepared!

We visited Suzuki del Caribe next, to visit briefly with some of the staff and Barry, the manager, and they treated me royally. I was welcomed with open arms as a friend of Gil's, who has had a business relationship for many years with them. Some of the girls gave me a lovely bouquet of roses and a green puff flower which I had never seen before, and I also received from Barry and Judy, a little souvenir of San Juan.

Since Matthew is so enthusiastic about Hayabusa motorcycles, we had to visit the showroom, where, once again, Gil took a photo of me standing beside one, just to show Matthew!

I did not get to taste "Mondongo" which I understand is some kind of delicacy, but I am not sure I missed out on something good...:o)

We could see God's humor and hand in many instances...the Admiral's Club was right near our landing and departure gates, and we made connections right when we needed to. The shuttles were waiting as we arrived..most people were very nice and friendly, and we had a great loooong day. Our returning flight was delayed, so we were booked on another with did not leave until 12:40 AM, as it was also delayed. We waited a couple hours in the Admiral's lounge in Miami, which even had about ten showers, which I did not take advantage of, but it also had tea, coffee, milk and cheese and cracker snacks which we helped ourselves to. Seems like the longer I stay up past my bedtime, the hungrier I get!.

We had long fast walks in various terminals, but found many humorous things to chuckle about. It was a wonderful day which ended for me about 3:30 this morning, when I finally sank into my bed.

I praise God for dear friends like Gil and for family and for watching over us and preparing the way.

I always thank God for you, remembering you in my prayers with thanksgiving,joy and love!

Love and hugs,