Thursday, December 4, 2008

The First New Shoes

Good morning, Dear Friends and Prayer Partners! This is the day that the Lord has made and we will rejoice and be glad in it! Well, I overslept this morning, so the daylight had already washed away the darkness, but last evening, I looked once again at the crescent moon, which has moved further to the south, and saw Venus and Jupiter in their same positions. Awesome!

Yesterday afternoon, I was determined to take a Park walk, so I enjoyed the coolish air, and looked at Mama gator for a few minutes, then on to the tower. I heard a small chirp and watched a tiny wren flitting around the nude maple trees. Then I saw a single moorhen at the tower. They have not been around for some time, but usually are in pairs, so I wonder where the other half was? Anyway, the wind was blowing quite strongly, and the leaves were all over the boardwalk, so I just scuffed through them and really enjoyed the outdoors. I was really warm by the time I finished the walk! But God is good!

From Quiet Moments with God

Matthew 25:40
The king will reply,"I tell you the truth, watever you did for one of the least of these brothers or mine, you did for me."

As the depression continued, the kitchen cabinets remained empty. Money was scarce. Their father, who had already deserted his family once before, couldn't handle the pressure and left again. As the oldest son, Jerry hit the road to try to earn some money to buy food for his three younger brothers. The air was bitterly cold, and the ground was frozen.

As Jerry walked, he saw some men digging a hold beside the road. "Can I help?" he asked.
"Sure," one of the men said as he handed him a shovel.

Jerry worked hard. For hours he dug in the bitter cold through frozen dirt while sleet pelted the ground. The men handed him a few coins before quitting. The yound boy stopped by the corner market to buy some canned goods for Christmas dinner the following day.

As he walked out of the store, the rain and sleet picked up and poured down on him. He had placed cardboard inside his shoes to replace the worn-out soles, and that had worked fine until the freezing wateer soaked his socks and feet. He sat down on the cold ground to adjust the cardboard.

"Son, are those the only shoes you have?" a man in uniform asked.

"Yes, sir," Jerry replied.

"Come with me," the man said, and he took him to a shoe store down the street, where he bought him his first pair of brand new shoes.

The light of Christmas shone brightly at the kitchen table as Jerry's family enjoyed the meal that he had earned the day before, digging a ditch in the freezing cold. The Love of Jesus--and the memory of a kind man in a uniform--brought tears to Jerry's eyes as he thanked God for taking care of them all, even in the worst of times.

Love goes without, that
another may have.
Rev. J. M. Gibbon

I always give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers with thanksgiving, joy and love!

Love and hugs,
Amaryllis