Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Habits

Good morning, Dear Friends and Prayer Partners! This is the day that the Lord has made and we will rejoice and be glad in it! We had a good rainstorm last night, so everything is still wet outside this morning. Overcast already this morning, so maybe more rain is in store for us, which is good.

Well, I had a surprise when I opened the front door this morning. There was a large possum sniffing all around the front porch, not paying any attention to me. I told him to buzz off and he headed straight across the street to my neighbor's house, I have a feeling there is a colony of them around here, because they have been seen walking on the wires between houses, and up in our oak tree several months ago. UGh! They look like big rats, which I guess they are.

And speaking of wildlife, the gecko or lizard is still on my living room chair. In fact, he is getting pretty feisty. Last night he was perched on top of the chair looking at me, until I walked over to try to catch him and he zoomed back down and hid. Then when I sat on the couch to read the paper, there he was peeking out at me on the side of the chair, just like he was daring me to catch him. I just walked by the chair on my way to the computer and there he was, peeking out from the side again. If he stays much longer, he will expire from lack of food and water, but it's his own fault for being too frisky.

My big adventure yesterday was a trip to Walmart. It is always interesting to see the different people there, including screaming babies. I feel their pain from shopping. Not that is is not a bad experience, just not my favorite thing to do. they have rearranged their produce section so it looks much larger. I bought some really sweet peaches and their bananas were just 49 cents a pound, I drove through the park on my way home and my, it is really overgrown from all the rain and the canal is full of hydrilla, Guess there is no one there to get in a boat and spray with all the lay-offs. Oh, well, God is on His Throne and He is good!

From the Promise Bible NLT:

How can God help me deal with bad habits?

Romans 8:5,6 Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit. If your sinful nature controls your mind, there is death. But if the Holy Spirit controls your mind, there is life and peace.

God has given us the Holy Spirit to help make us holy. While victory does not come immediately, we will progress as we fill our minds and hearts with spiritual truth and the promises of God.

Romans 6:12-14 Do not let sin control the way you live, do not give in to its lustful desires. Do not let any part of your body become a tool of wickedness, to be used for sinning. Instead, give yourselves completely to God since you have been given new life. And use your whole body as a tool to do what is right for the glory of God. Sin is no longer your master, for you are no longer subject to the law, which enslaves you to sin. Instead, you are free by God's grace.

One of Satan's great lies is that we are victims who have no power to resist sin. the world teaches us that heredity, environment, and circumstance excuse us from responsibility. But God is more powerful than anything that seeks to control us. When we call upon his power through prayer and the support of fellow believers, God breaks our chains and set us free.

How can God help me cultivate good habits?

1 Timothy 4:7-8 Do not waste time arguing over godless ideas and old wives' tales. Spend your time and energy in training yourself for spiritual fitness. Physical exercise has some value, but spiritual exercise is much more important, for it promises a reward in both this life and the next.

1 Corinthians 9:25 All athletes practice strict self-control. The do it ot win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize.

Godly habits--such as reading the Bible, praying and giving our time and money in service--give us spiritual stamina, purpose and direction for our lives. they also help us keep our eyes on the eternal prize.

I always give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers with thanksgiving, joy and love!

Love and hugs,
Amaryllis