Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Joy

Good morning, Dear friends and Prayer Partners, this is the day that the Lord has made and we will rejoice and be glad in it! Well, it's overcast this morning, but no rain so far. Hooray! Maybe the rain is finally moving off, although I will certainly miss the cooler temps. that we have enjoyed the past few days. Back to the 90's soon!

I decided to take a walk last night after supper, because the rain had let up and it was just sprinkling a little, so off to the Park I went. Very few people were there, and no one when I started across the bridge. I stopped to watch an anhinga try to swallow a rather fat fish, He was so determined, he was paddling in circles, all the while juggling the fish in his beak, trying not to let it get away. I think he was headed for the bank which is quite overgrown where he was, but since he disappeared, I walked on. Coming toward me from the Hammock trail was a rather large, raccoon. He looked at me and I looked at him, and told him to stay where he was, because I did not care to have a close encounter with him. I walked on to the first shelter and kept looking over my shoulder to see where he was, and he was just ambling along some distance behind me.

After waiting at the shelter for a bit, I decided to walk back, and sure enough, he was still coming. I walked steadily toward him, and Mr. Raccoon turned around and found a rail he could fit between and off he went into the brush. I must say, I was relieved! Then, as I walked off, who should I meet but David Massey, coming from a run. Now, that was a divine encounter that I was happy for, instead of the raccoon! God is good!

From the Promise Bible NLT:

Zephaniah 3:11 The Lord your God has arrived to live among you. He is a mighty savior. He will rejoice over you with great gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will exult over you by singing a happy song.

Our joy springs from God's love, which is not dependent on circumstances nor on our performance. When we trust in his love for us, we are far less vulnerable to the depression and despair that could come from our problems and disappointments.

Revelation 21:4 He will remove all of their sorrows, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. For the old world and its evils are gone forever.

Our joy is rooted in the certainty of heaven, where we will be fully anf finally liberated from the trials and troubles of this life.

How can I be joyful in hard times?

Habakkuk 3::17-18 Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vine, even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren, even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet i will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation.

Joy is a choice. We may not realize it, but we choose our moods and our attitudes. God's promises in Christ are the basis for choosing joy no matter what we face.

I always give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers with thanksgiving, joy and love!

Love and hugs,
Amaryllis