Thursday, February 21, 2013

Night Lights

Good Morning, Dear Friends and Prayer Partners! This is the day that the Lord has made and we will rejoice and be glad in it! Another beautiful day is in store for us. with few clouds, cool breezes and warm sunshine. Perfect! The only thing marring this beauty is the pollen that is still filling the air.

I took my van to the car wash yesterday and, after wrestling with the cash machine for five minutes to get it to take my dollars, I made it through and now the car is gleaming. I know clean does not last, either in the house or on a car, but it makes me feel better to know the dust and grime are gone for a little while. While I was cleaning the windows, I notice little spots of yellow, which is really hard to clean off. That is from some kind of tree, but I am thinking maybe pine trees.  

I visited the Park yesterday, and noticed more azaleas are blooming, as mine are, looking very pretty for a little while. My large one in the back yard is gorgeous with the deep pink blooms all over and falling on the ground. Going into the park, I saw turtles plastered on one side of the weir and on the other side of the street, the large gator was sunning in his personal spot. Lots of people were walking or looking over the bridge at the water. God is good!

From the devotional book Quiet Moments with God:

You are my lamp, O Lord; the Lord turns my darkness into light.
2 Samuel 22:29
 


An Illinois pastor had six couples enrolled in a new members class that met on Sunday evenings in one couple's home. Even after all the couples had completed the course work and joined the church, they continued to meet on Sunday evenings. They enjoyed each other's company and developed a deep sense of commitment to one another.

One night, the pastor received a call from one of the wives in the group. Her husband's plane had gone down, and she didn't know if he was dead or alive. The pastor immediately called the other group members, who rallied around her. They sat and prayed with her until word came that her husband was dead. Then various women took turns baby sitting and staying with her during those first difficult nights.

Group members opened their homes to out of town relatives who came for the funeral.
The men kept her car running and did yard work. And when she decided she would have to sell her house and find a smaller place to live, they helped her locate an apartment, pack, unpack, and settle into her new home.

For many people, this experience would seem like a night without end, a shadow on their lives that would never be erased. But because her friends let their lights shine into her darkness,they reminded her of the God who understood  her pain and promised to see her through it.

"You are the light of the world," Jesus said. "A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15


In a world that seems to grow darker day by day, let the Lord turn your darkness into light. Then you can brighten the lives of those around you by being one of "God's bright lights".

                                            I don't have to light all
                                            the world, but I do have 
                                                    to light my part.
                                                  Unknown

I always give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers with thanksgiving, joy and love!


Love and hugs,
Amaryllis