Friday, August 17, 2007

Calming Down

Good morning, Dear Friends and Prayer Partners! This is the day that the Lord has made and we will rejoice and be glad in it!

We went to bed to the sounds of another thunderstorm, which started right after we arrived home from an evening out. God's timing is perfect!

I splashed through water yesterday on the boardwalk, and I am sure it will be wet again, after the downpour last night. All is well, though, with Mama gator. She was back at the nest yesterday, with just her head visible directly below the railing. I spoke to her and told her I was glad to see her, but she was surly and didn't answer. Sigh...

The small gator was sunning on the bank again and getting plenty warm, I'm sure. It was a pleasant walk yesterday, because the wind was blowing so that made the heat bearable. When I stopped, though, I was drippy. But God is good to send rain and wind when we need them!

From Quiet Moments with God:

Jeremiah 31:26
"My sleep had been pleasant to me."

It's virtually impossible for you to sleep if you are wound up. Do memories of the day's events keep you from falling asleep? Do you sometimes feel as if you spent the day pushing a boulder up a mountain with a very small stick? If so, memorize these words:

"I lift up my eyes to the hills__Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

Are you worried about making mistakes, disappointing your boss, or letting your family down? If so, memorize these words:

"He will not let your foot slip-he who watches over you will not slumber, indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
Psalm 121:3-4

Does unnecessary anxiety sometimes get the best of you, causing you to fear for your won safety or health? If so, memorize these words:

"The Lord watches over you___the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night."
Psalm 121:5-6

Are you already starting to agonize over next month's deadline, next year's taxes, the college tuition that has to be paid ten years from now, or funding your own retirement in thirty years? Are you taking all of that on when your head hits the pillow at night? If so, memorize these words:

"The Lord will keep you from all harm-he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore."
Psalm 121:7-8

You have just memorized an entire psalm! Repeat it to yourself every night. Substitute My for your and me for you. Then rest in the knowledge that God has your life, and the rest of the universe under control.

WORRY IS AN INDICATION THAT WE THINK GOD CANNOT LOOK AFTER US.
Oswald Chambers

I always give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers with thanksgiving, joy and love!

Love and hugs,
Amaryllis