Thursday, November 17, 2016

Memories

Good Morning, dear Friends and Prayer Partners! This is the day that the Lord has made and we will rejoice and be glad in it!

Today I thought I would share some memories and thoughts with you about my sister, Marilyn. She passed away yesterday, peacefully at home with her daughter, Dena holding her hand.

I remember her as having asthma when she was small and, of course, back then, there were no inhalers like today or any of the remedies we have now. She was given medicated cigarettes, which did not work that well, and, of course, Vick's salve on the chest. And, when we had chest congestion, a spoonful of sugar with a few drops of kerosene on it. But we survived and she gradually outgrew the asthma for the most part.

Both our parents worked at my father's gas station, so it was up to us to get the evening meal started...potatoes every night. I don't remember my brother ever helping much, but then he was younger and a boy.

We would sing duets while washing the dishes, and I would always take the alto part, because she could only sing melody. "Go Down Moses" was a favorite. I don' know if that is the title, but I remember the song well!'

I remember waiting for her class to get out at Woodlawn Elem. and getting to ring the bell which was in the hall. The principal allowed me to do that! Then we would walk home down 16th St. No. Following her a couple years behind in high school was not too good for me. At SPHS I had a couple of her teachers, and since, she was very smart and, me, not so much, they expected me to perform like she did in class. Hmm. Not only that, a couple called me by her name and not mine. Not the way to instill self esteem in a young mind!

But on the other hand, I got to read all the stories in her literature book before I got into her grade. I loved to read and still do. But my sister was always a bookworm, which is what we called her, and I was always the active one...more comfortable outdoors playing with the boys and climbing trees or doing other stuff outside with my brother. These are some good memories!

I will miss my sister, Marilyn, but rejoice that she is now with Jesus!

From the NKJV:

The Lord is my shepherd,
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in
green pastures.
He leads me beside the still
waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the
valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil.
For you are with me;
Your rod and Your staff
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil,
my cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy
shall follow me all the days
of my life and I will dwell in the house
of the Lord
Forever.


I always give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers with thanksgiving, joy and love!

Love and hugs,
 Amaryllis